Saturday, July 16, 2011

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides

(ouch?)

Well, I watched this movie as it was still running in our local cinema, but to tell the truth I didn't expect a lot. The Pirates time was over, and like they tried to survive, so this film did.
Basically, I'm really disappointed with Johnny Depp. Not because he did a bad performance -- I actually have to say it was good -- but the whole idea of the film... the lame try to do something out of it... was pretty useless to take part in.
This try only showed many (well, at least myself) that Johnny Depp wasn't the only one making the film so good... but more likely all the bunch of people who took part in it.
What I did like, and didn't at the same time was the idea of Pirates losing control over the world. Yes, it is a historical fact, but at the end... I wanted to see another film with Pirates winning it all and other people should die.
The whole character of Jack Sparrow was put OOC in so many points of the film that I felt really annoyed. I mean, 'fan service' reality.
We wanted to see a girl who he likes... so here she is. Yay -- I would have killed her... she's dumb like a shoe :D.
Anyhow, the story was also pretty chaotic, but I liked the opening content with someone taking Jack Sparrow's identity (really epic and stuff).
But you know, with all of this 'strong' opening, the more the story moved on (aka: love between an idiot and a mermaid)... it turned out to be another terrible cliché.
The Pirates weren't as great as before, the reason for the happening looked like the less important thing in the world.
You know those films where people kill each other, hunt a treasure, search for something... whatever it is -- there is a reason.
Unfortunately... at the end, we discovered there is NO reason. I mean, yeah, people want to be immortal... but what the hell Spain was doing there?
The cast was also not the best you can find, especially the woman Sparrow liked. She is a terrible actress who preforms forcefully and fails to deliver her character. You know what? that's the last person I would have used for that role. In the scenes where the two are together, their acting level is so different you can feel it through every line they say.
Speaking of which -- the script was terrible at certain points. The lines were taken from most common, overrated films and books out there...
I personally died even though I didn't expect anything. For me, I felt like I spent money on something I could have avoided. Too bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment